martedì 28 gennaio 2014

Ariadne's story

"ARIADNE'S STORY"by Joyce Hannam


Characters: Ariadne, Theseus, Minotaur, King MinosPlot: King Minos lived in Knossos with his daughter Ariadne. He built a labyrinth in Crete and every year he gave some Athens people to the Minotaur, a half bull half man monster, and this horrible man ate them. But one day Theseus, a guy from Crete, decided to kill the monster. So he left for Crete. In Crete Ariadne fell in love with Theseus and she decided to help him. She gave him a line hank and in this way the boy could enter the labyrinth and then could exit from it. This plan worked, so Ariadne and Theseus left for Athens.

Subgenre: legend
Narrator: 1st person

-Coretti Emanuela

2 commenti:

  1. I liked very much this book because it explains the real story of Ariadne. She is a princess but she gives away her prosperity, her jewels to be a free woman. Ariadne leaves Theseus and her homeland to stay in Naxos where she meets her first love a normal man, he works as a priest at the temple of Dionysus. They get married and there they lead a normal life, working every day. She is very happy for her new life, indeed she teaches her daughter what is really important in our life, she says to her: "Money isn't as important as freedom, and that shared love is more important than anything." I think that it is a wonderful message for us. Everyone has to reproduce Ariadne's story in his own life.

    -Arianna Scandiffio

    RispondiElimina
  2. I really liked this book. I knew the plot because I've already studied it at school but I didn't know all the details about the story. For example I didn't know about the last years of Ariadne's life as Sofia and it was my favourite part of the book. I like the wise personality of Ariadne and that she tries not to make her daughter her same mistakes, considering her experience. In fact for me, like my friend Arianna, the most beautiful sentence of the book is: "Money isn't as important as freedom, and that shared love is more important than anything." It is a great messagge for that time, when in Greek money and pomp were the most important things. I have also appreciateted her choise to leave from everything and from everyone to be happy, because princesses have no time to be happy. I think that if everybody was able to put happiness at the first place, life would be better.

    -Mariateresa Lisanti.

    RispondiElimina